Our client, a government organization in Oakland, is looking for a Sr. Payroll Specialist to join their team on a contract basis through 10/12/2018. Ideal candidates will be able to perform a full range of payroll preparation, processing, and confirmation functions for the timely and accurate completion of payroll for all of our client’s employees. The individual will provide work direction and oversight to subordinate Payroll Specialists and Payroll Assistants, and may participate in special payroll or accounting projects.
Appropriate candidates must have PeopleSoft Time and Labor Module and strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Monitors, finalizes, approves, and confirms weekly and bi-monthly payroll close processes, including Time and Labor; and edits and approves employees' time, and the employee status report.
- Sets up the check print file and coordinates printing with the Treasury unit.
- Updates, confirms, and runs the leave balance accrual, and payroll register.
- Audits and approves daily manual checks issued by Payroll Specialists, and coordinates the printing process with the Treasury unit.
- Provides expertise and assistance to Accounting staff for the accurate reconciliation of the monthly payroll account in the General Ledger.
- Analyzes and balances annual gross earnings, taxable gross, and federal and state taxes withheld for all employees in regard to W2 reporting; and coordinates the annual printing of W2s.
- Reviews, sets up, and enters changes in the Pension payroll direct deposit, and related tax withholding.
- Performs the audit and payroll functions of subordinate Payroll Specialists, as needed.
- Performs the functions of the Payroll Manager when s/he is sick, on vacation, or for short duration during special projects.
- Provides information, analysis, and assistance to internal and external auditors.
- Responds to payroll inquiries from employees regarding paycheck amounts, deductions, leave accruals, direct deposit, and other concerns.
- Provides training and guidance to subordinate Payroll Specialists and Payroll Assistants, as needed.
- Maintains and updates computer based and paper files for retention of payroll.
- May participate or lead ad-hoc or ongoing payroll or accounting projects at the direction of the Payroll Manager, Controller, or CFO.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Strong experience using Peoplesoft in a professional environment
- Experience within the Time and Labor module needed
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college with major coursework in accounting, business administration, or a closely related field.
- Equivalent to four years of recent and verifiable experience as a Payroll Specialist, or equivalent.
- Additional years of experience may be substituted for required education on a year-for-year basis.
- One or more years’ experience supervising subordinate payroll and clerical staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- One or more payroll, spreadsheet, and word processing software programs at the intermediate level of proficiency
- Basic principles and practices of payroll processing and accounting; and modern office practices and procedures.
- Quickly learn and proficiently use newly implemented software programs as adopted by the District
- Read, understand, interpret, and apply provisions from multiple Collective Bargaining Agreements, and pertinent government accounting and payroll regulations
- Analyze data from multiple sources, check for accuracy, and resolve errors and discrepancies
- Perform mathematical computations rapidly and accurately
- Interpret data from various accounting systems
- Communicate clearly both orally and in writing
- Learn, interpret, and apply pertinent government accounting and payroll regulations to build and maintain positive working relationships with those encountered in the course of work using principles of excellent customer service.
- Must maintain the physical condition necessary to perform tasks in an office setting, operating a personal computer, keyboards, and other peripheral equipment.
All employment is contingent on candidates passing a background check and providing at least two positive professional references from prior managers.
We are looking for local candidates only. U.S. Citizens and those authorized to work in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor at this time.
To apply for this position please visit our website at www.PsiNapse.com, and click on Candidate and then Online Application.
Thank you for your interest. Please understand that only qualified candidates will receive a response.
PsiNapse Technology, a national, workforce augmentation and solutions firm, offers competitive compensation, professional service, and customized benefits to qualified temporary and career professionals looking for employment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, sexual-orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, or any other protected category.